2013 Event Highlights:
• Second Annual Amateur Cider Competition — an AHA/BJCP sanctioned event open to any amateur cidermaker age 21 or older. Deadline for Entries: October 24th. Find rules and registration information.
• Cidermaking 101 Workshop with Bob Delisle and Charlie Olchowski on Saturday morning (9 - 11am) at Pine Hill Orchards ($80.00 charge) — this is a hands-on beginner's cidermaking workshop. The fee covers instructions and materials for making your first batch of cider. Materials: plastic fermenter, 5 gallon glass carboy, bored stopper, airlock, 6' syphon hose, 30" racking tube and bottle brush, plus sweet cider. You'll leave the workshop with your first batch of hard cider well under way.
• Tips for Making the Perfect Apple Pie, a cooking demo with Amy Traverso, Yankee Magazine senior editor and author of The Apple Lover's Cookbook, at Clarkdale Fruit Farms, Deerfield, on Sunday from 11am - 12pm
• Workshops, Talks and Tastings from beginner through advanced for cider makers, home orchardists and cider afficionados at orchards (Saturday and Sunday) and at the Shelburne Buckland Community Center in Shelburne Falls (Saturday)
• The Marketplace at the Shelburne Buckland Community Center in Shelburne Falls, with local artisans and producers, food vendors, and, of course, apples!
• Apple Pancake Breakfast, Saturday, 8 - 11am, at Second Congregational Church, Court Square, Greenfield
• The Cider Salon — the world's largest hard cider tasting with more than 60 individual cider brandsfrom across North America in the big tent across from the Shelburne Buckland Community Center in Shelburne Falls. Two sessions — 3 to 4:30 and 5:15 to 6:45 (Saturday)
• CiderDay Locavore Harvest Supper — Chef Paul Correnty will once again mastermind a savory fall feast featuring apples, cider and other locally grown foods. Held this year in the Shelburne Buckland Community Center in Shelburne Falls.
• Spanish Cider Tasting and Discussion with James Asbel of Ciders of Spain on Sunday at the Shelburne Buckland Community Center in Shelburne Falls.
• North vs. South Heritage Apple Smackdown, Part Deux, a tasting and discussion with Tom Burford and John Bunker on Sunday at the Shelburne Buckland Community Center in Shelburne Falls.
• Cider and Cheese Pairing with on Sunday at the Shelburne Buckland Community Center in Shelburne Falls.
• New Salem Preserves and Orchards hosts its Cider and Apple Festival with child-friendly apple pressing, cider donuts, caramel apples, hot squash/cider soup, grilled hot dogs, cider syrup, cider vinegar, sun-cooked preserves, and our heirloom apples and freshly pressed sweet cider. Extraordinary woodworkers offer wooden bowls and garden accessories.
Additional vendors include The Mitten Ladies, wool mittens made from recycled sweaters, home-made soaps and lotions from Black Hen Farm, maple syrup from Cooleyville Farm and Northfield Mount Herman School, and live alpacas from Great Rock Alpacas.
Come share our scenic view of the Quabbin and roast marshmallows over the campfire. (Saturday and Sunday)
• Organic Orchardist Michael Phillips wassails apple trees at New Salem Orchards and Preserves on Saturday (2 to 3pm), and talks about Apple Varieties for the Organic Orchard on Saturday at the Shelburne Buckland Community Center (10 - 11am)
• Finding a Great Cider Apple in Your Backyard with John Bunker and Claude Jolicoeur on Saturday at Apex Orchards (10 - 11am)
• Apples for Juice and Cider with Claude Jolicoeur and Alan Suprenant on Sunday from 10 - 11am at Brook Farm Orchard in Ashfield
• Organic Orcharding Practices: A Primer with Jennifer Williams and Steve Gougeon on Saturday from 12:00 - 1:00pm and So You Want to Be a Commercial Cidermaker with Steve Gougeon and Andy Brennan on Sunday from 11:30am - 12:30pm at Bear Swamp Orchard in Ashfield
• Making Apple Cider Vinegar with Bob Colnes at New Salem Orchards and Preserves on Saturday from 1 - 2pm
• Just Added! Tasting menu at MRKT restaurant in South Deerfield during CiderDays weekend. See the Dining page for more details.
and much, much more!
Thank you to our wonderful 2013 CiderDays sponsors, whose logos are below. Click on a logo to go to their website.